Friday, August 8, 2008

I Love Light

I Love Light

I remember as a very small child being put in a dark room by myself to go to sleep. I still remember the feelings of fear of the darkness. I have had a few phobias in my life but none as paralyzing as the fear of darkness. It was only when as an adult, married women I surrendered all my fears to the Lord that He gave me such a knowing “that He is my keeper and refuge.” He has made me know that He is my Sovereign Father Who will not let anything touch me without His permission. No power of darkness can overtake me as long as I keep my hand in His.

A few years ago while on vacation we went to Blanchard Springs Cave in Arkansas. We had to take an elevator down into the depths of the cave. It was very well lit and the stalactites, stalagmites and rock formations were quite beautiful. At one point in the tour they told us they wanted us to experience complete darkness, so we all held our family member’s hands. We were also told not to move around because we could become disoriented very easily. When the lights were turned off the darkness seemed to overwhelm us to the point of being tangible. Spelunkers say being deep in a cave is the most complete experience of darkness we can have on planet earth. There deep in the cave there is no, not any light.

This is what spiritual darkness is like. In John 4:4 Jesus talks about how “the god of this world has blinded the unbeliever’s mind, preventing them from seeing the illuminating light (Truth) of the gospel of the glory of Christ, Who is the Image and Likeness of God” (Amp.).

To me, to lose my sight would be the worst loss of all my senses. The thought of constantly being in total darkness, after having enjoyed the light, is a horrible thought to me. Jesus spoke in Matthew 6:22 & 23 of how we walk in the light (understanding) of the Truth our life will be filled with more light, but if we do not walk in the Truth we have received the light in us (our conscience) is darkened and great is that darkness! Jesus also tells us in John 11:9 that if we walk in the light we won’t stumble and fall.

Only believers have the true Light (understanding of the Truth). In John 8:12 Jesus said He was the Light of the world and whoever follows the Light will never walk in darkness but will have the Light which is Life. Romans 1:18-25 shows us how if we all are given understanding about Who God is but if we do not walk and grow in that understanding we “become futile and godless in our thinking and our senseless minds are darkened. Claiming to become wise we become fools. We exchange the glory and majesty of the immortal God for images of our own making.

Therefore God will abandon us to the degrading power of sin because we exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, Who is blessed forever!”

My Prayer:

Father, thank You for sending Your Son, Jesus, Who is the “Day Star” (II Pet.1:19) that has risen in our hearts. This same Jesus is the “Bright Morning Star” (Rev.22:16). He is the Word (Jn.1:1) that is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path (Ps.119:105). Thank You that once I walked in darkness but have seen a “Great Light” – Jesus the “Light of the World.” I love that Light!

Mary Jones

No comments: