Sunday, January 15, 2012

"My Shepherd"

January 15, 2012

“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want!” (Psalm 23:1)

Of all the promises and scriptures in the Bible the Twenty Third Psalm is, to me, the most all inclusive, encouraging and hopeful of any that I know. “The Lord” comes from the Hebrew name YHWY, Who is the Sovereign of the universe. This “Lord is my Shepherd.”

A good shepherd loves each of his sheep. He guards them and protects them. He nourishes them and surrounds them with His goodness. He satisfies their spiritual thirst with Himself (the Living Water). When beaten down with “life” He restores hope and joy in the present and for whatever may come in the future. He clearly shows His sheep the path and goes before them in that path that is right and good, not because they deserve it but because of His grace and mercy, and for His name’s sake, for God is Love.

When I am in peril, either physically or spiritually, I will not fear adversity nor affliction because my provider and healer is with me – That’s my Shepherd! His discipline and support guides me in the way I should go and gives me strength and wisdom to be trained by them, these bring me much comfort.

My Shepherd prepares a table of abundance of joy, peace and security as He delivers me from all who would try to do me wrong or harm. He completely satisfies my longings to the point of me being overwhelmed with His goodness. This goodness, mercy and unfailing love shall follow me, like a shadow, all the days of my life and in my Shepherd’s presence will be where I live forever. So you see I shall not want for anything, because my Shepherd’s sufficiency is more than enough!

The King of Love My Shepherd Is
Henry W. Baker (From Psalm 23)

The King of love my Shepherd is, Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am His and He is mine forever.

Where streams of living water flow my ransomed soul He leadeth,
And where the verdant pastures grow with food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed, but yet in love He sought me,
And on His shoulder gently laid, and home rejoicing brought me.

In death’s dark vale I fear no ill with You, dear Lord, beside me;
Your rod and staff my comfort still, Your cross before to guide me.

An so through all the length of days Your goodness faileth never;
Good Shepherd, may I sing Your praise within Your house forever.

No comments: