Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Letter To A Hurting Friend

May 8, 2013 "God's divine power has given us everything needed for life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him Who called us by His own glory and goodness." II Peter 1:3 Dear Friend, It grieves me so to hear of your divorce (now final). We know that Satan, that old deceiver and accuser, is alive and well (for now). But, thank God that He has made you an over-comer through Christ Who lives in you, strengthens you, and provides for you (spirit, soul and body) - and He is Faithful - He will never leave you nor forsake you - He is your All in all! I read a marvelous scripture this morning that just jumped off the page at me. I have read it dozens of times before, but it was my encouraging and faith-building promise for today, and I thought it would be encouraging to you also. It is II Peter 1:2-3 - the third verse says, "God's divine power has given us everything needed for life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him Who called us by His own glory and goodness." "Experts" (?) talk about the power of the mind, the power of exercise, the power yoga, the power of education, etc. But nothing compares with God's divine power - nothing can stand against it nor overcome it when we we have the knowledge of Him and trust in His promises. When we are trusting in God's divine power, He gives us everything needed for life - (tribulations, divorce, wants, cares, etc. - all of that is part of life). God's divine power gives us everything needed to walk a godly life - power to be more godlike in every respect, when we infuse ourselves with the knowledge of this unspeakable God we serve and Who lives in us. He gives us these glorious things because He has called us by (and to) His own glory, excellence and virtue (to be like Him). That is what godliness means, "Godlikeness." I love the words, which speak my heart's yearning, to that old song by Thomas O. Chisholm: O To Be Like Thee O to be like Thee! Blessed Redeemer , this is my constant longing and prayer. Gladly I'll forfeit all of earth's treasures, Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear. O to be like Thee! Full of compassion, loving, forgiving, tender and kind; Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting, seeking the wand'ring sinner to find. O to be like Thee! While I am pleading, pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love. Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling; fit me for life and heaven above. Chorus: O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee, Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art! Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness - Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart. Dear friend, I pray the sweet Holy Spirit will fill you, cover you, guide you and teach you in the way that you should go. Always look up, not out. Reach out to others who are hurting and it will help heal your hurt. Remember, "In this world you will have tribulation, but be of good courage for Jesus has overcome the world!" I pray the Lord will bless you and keep you and make His face to shine on you and give you His peace!

No comments: