Monday, March 21, 2011

From Fear, To Faith, To Victory, To Praise

In Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You? (II Chr. 20:6)

This is one of my favorite chapters in the whole Bible. It shows the faithfulness of God to His people (that includes us), when we cry out to Him in our distress. Jehoshaphat was a mighty king of Judah but he feared the enemy (v.3). He was human - vulnerable, weak and helpless, as we are, but he "determinedly set himself to seek God" (v.3), along with all of Judah (v.4). King Jehoshaphat proclaimed a fast and he and all of Judah came together to pray - and what a prayer that was (vs.6-12)!

In his prayer Jehoshaphat reminded Jehovah God of His sovereignty (4.6), of His mighty power to deliver (Vs.7-12); of Judah’s weakness, but trusting only in God Almighty (vs.12-13). The Spirit of the Lord came to Judah to encourage, instruct and to assure them that “the battle was the Lord’s and that He would be with them” (vs.14-17). Jehoshaphat and all of Judah worshipped and then obeyed (vs. 18-19). Jehoshaphat then told them to believe God and He would prosper them (v.20). The principles are the same for us today – trust and obey. II Cor.2:14 puts it very well, “But thanks be to God, Who in Christ always Leads us in triumph (as trophies of Christ’s victory).”

It is quite interesting to see that before they went out to face the enemy Jehoshaphat organized a praise choir who sang, “Give thanks to the Lord, for His mercy and loving-kindness endures forever!” (v.21). Thanksgiving before, “in” and after the fight is always the right time (I Thess.5:18; Eph.5:20), and “for” all things is the faith-filled praise to our Father who always causes all things to work out for our good, if we trust Him (Rom.8:28).

The rest is “His story” – The Lord God went before them and caused the enemy to slaughter each other (vs.22-25)! Once again the people praised and rejoiced at the victory of the Lord (and rightly so). (vs. 26-28)!

…..And they lived in peace. (vs. 29-30)- (The end of that story).

-------------------------------
....But it should be the beginning of our story as we follow the same principles of victory!
From Fear of the enemy, to Faith in God, to Victory, then Praise. Victory in Jesus should always bring praise and thanksgiving for God’s mighty acts on behalf in answer to our prayers and obedience. This is the recipe for an over-coming life!

My Faith Has Found A Resting Place
Lidie H. Edmunds

My faith has found a resting place – Not in device nor creed;
I trust the Everliving One – His wounds for me shall plead.

Enough for me that Jesus saves – this ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him – He’ll never cast me out.

My heart is leaning on the Word – the written Word of God;
Salvation by my Savior’s name – Salvation through His blood.

I need no other argument, I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me.

No comments: