Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Keep On Keeping On

I think, as a believer, having a steadfast heart is one thing that brings great joy to the heart of God. As a child I, like Daniel, (Dan.1:8), determined to walk with the Lord all the days of my life. Since that time there has never been a time I desired to "sow some wild oats." Satan opened many doors I could have walked through, and out of fellowship with Jesus, but the love of the Father constrained me to be steadfast to my commitment to Him. I have not regretted one lost sinful opportunity presented me and I am so grateful God has kept me from many pits into which I could have fallen.

Paul likens the Christian life to running a race, with God predetermining a personalized course with the finish line in eternity. The course is full of obstacles (pain, trials, heartaches, etc.) and we must persevere by focusing on Jesus and not letting the obstacles distract us from our goal – winning the race. Only steadfast plodding wins the crown.

David sinned greatly in his lifetime but he not only was remorseful for his sin but he repented and God called him, "a man after God's own heart" (Acts 13:22). Psalms 51:17 said, "A broken and contrite spirit He would not despise." In Psalms 57:7, David said, "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is steadfast and confident." God blessed him for his steadfast heart.

Isaiah was prophesying of Jesus in Isa.50:7, "For the Lord helps me; therefore have I not been ashamed or confounded. Therefore have I set My face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame." Even in the garden before His death Jesus was steadfast in his commitment to the will of the Father, "Not my will but Thine." He was steadfast all the way to the cross and death.

The first Christians were steadfast in their devotion to being “discipled” in the faith (Acts 2:42). When you become new creations in Christ your desire to walk and fellowship with him is insatiable. All things become new - the Word is exciting, prayer time is sweet as honey and just being in fellowship with Jesus and other Christians grows and perpetuates a desire to be steadfast in the faith because we love Him and want to be with Him. If we fail we have to confess and receive His forgiveness and recommit to the steadfast walk with Jesus. Being ‘steadfast’ and ‘failing’ may seem like an oxymoron but steadfastness is of the spirit and failing is of the flesh. The Father knows our heart. The Father remembers our commitment and knows our weaknesses but sees our steadfast heart so we can confidently draw close to His throne that we may receive mercy for our failures (Heb.4:13-l6). May the Father find us faithful!

May the words from this song be our theme, "I am determined to follow Jesus, No turning back, no turning back!"

No comments: