Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stand Still

"Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God." (Job 37:14)

It is hard for me to physically "stand still." From the time I get up in the morning I plan my day, trying to prioritize my time and activities and asking God to guide me in my plans that they will be His plans, in His priority. Then I work my plan. Sometimes I don't complete all my plans but at least I have planned and the most important things have been done. There is always tomorrow to finish today's unfinished, low priority plans.

For many years the first priority of my day has been to emotionally and spiritually "stand still." I look out the five windows of my bedroom at God's wondrous "works" of nature. I take time to meditate on His Word (hiding His promises in my heart). Sometimes one word or one phrase will seem to jump out at me, so I stop and think on it, I “consider” it. I may have a question about it so I ask the Lord to open my understanding of it. I go to my Bible study helps, reading the Hebrew or Greek meaning/s and He never fails to give me new or renewed understanding. Reading, studying and meditating on the Word is what I love to do most of all and it brings great joy!

Then I pour my heart out to Him in prayer - all of my praises, thanksgivings for all He has done and will do (“His wondrous works”), concerns in life, confessions, intercessions and just adoring Him for Who He is and His love for me. A lot of my prayer time is before I even get out of bed. My heart and mind is still uncluttered from anything of my new day. This time of “standing still" is the most precious and beneficial time of my entire day. Try it, you'll like it!

God tells us in Ps.46:10, “Be still and know that I am God.” This time of quietness before God is the time He reveals Himself to us. We can’t get to know Him when our mind or body is racing here and there trying to accomplish something we think is more important that getting to know the heart of the Father. The rest of verse 10 and verse 11 tells us some of Who He is: 1) He is the One Who will be exalted among the nations; 2) Jehovah Saboath (“the Lord of hosts) is with us; 3) He is the God of Jacob Who is our Refuge, our strong tower and stronghold. Just “stand still” and think about that!!

TAKE TIME TO BE HOLY

Take time to be holy, speak oft with the Lord;
Abide in Him always and feed on His Word.
Make friends of God's children, help those who are weak,
Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy, Let Him be your guide,
And run not before Him, whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow still follow the Lord,
And looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.


Take time to be holy, Be calm in your soul -
Each thought and each motive beneath His control.
Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
You soon will be fitted for service above.

No comments: