Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Advent - "F" - "Friend"

December 5, 2011

“……there is a Friend Who sticks closer than a brother.”

Since I was in the third grade I have enjoyed a little red-headed friend who was closer to me than my own siblings. We walked to and from school together; we had weekly sleep-overs; we laughed together and cried together and told each other our secrets and most intimate hopes and dreams. We had the same socio-economic background and came from single parent families. We understood and trusted each other and loved one another. After sixty five years we still are in contact with one another – birthdays, Christmas and summer vacations when I return to my hometown. She will remain my friend until I die.

But my little red-headed friend, as much as she may have wanted to, could not meet all my needs. But I know a Friend Who is “closer than a brother,” and can, and does, meet all my needs – His name is Jesus! He has been my closest Friend since I was about four, when I invited Him to be my forever Friend. He is a friend who will never leave me nor forsake me. He has been my friend through all the lonely, disappointing, trying, fearful, sorrowful and joyful times in my life. He has invited me to come “boldly” to Him and cry on His shoulder; to thank Him for His goodness and answered prayer; to praise Him for all His attributes; for forgiveness for all my failures and sins; and to intercede for the needs of my earthly friends. There’s no friend to me like Jesus!

There are millions of people using social networking with “real” friends with which to communicate, sometimes thousands of miles away. To me these "friends"\ are very superficial compared to my Friend Who knows me completely and loves me anyway. He has and is the answer to all my questions and problems. He will never become disillusioned with me but believes the best in me (because He knows my heart). These “social” friends, and even my little red-headed friend, are God’s cure for our need for a human touch. We may have a lot of friendships, but few true friends. Jesus will always be our "true" Friend, if we let Him.

Jesus taught us how to be a true friend. He tells us we are to carry one another’s burdens just as He encourages us to “roll all our cares on Him, for He cares for us.” He knows how weak we are, but He is strong. He knows our indecisiveness, but He knows the way. He knows our deepest hurts, but He can comfort and heal. Our lives, minds and hearts may be in turmoil, but this Friend can bring us peace. He is all-in-all. Those we thought were our friends may forsake us, but Jesus has promised He will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). He will be that friend who “sticks closer than a brother.”





No, Not One
Johnson Oatman, Jr.

There’s not a friend like the lowly Jesus – no, not one!
None else could heal all our soul’s diseases – No, not one! No, not one!

There’s not an hour that He is not near us – No, not one! No, not one!
No night so dark but His love can cheer us – No, not one! No not one!

Did ever saint find this friend forsake Him? No, not one! No, not one!
Or sinner find that He would not take Him? No, not one! No, not one!

Was e’er a gift like the Savior given? No, not one! No, not one!
Will He refuse us a home in heaven? No, not one! No, not one!

Jesus knows all about our struggles, He will guide till the day is done.
There’s not a friend like the lowly Jesus – No, not one! No, not one!

No comments: