Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Advent - "G" - "Gift/s"

The Twenty Six Days of Advent December 6,2011

“G” – “Gift/s”

“Now thanks be to God for His precious (beyond telling), His indescribable, inexpressible, free Gift!” (II Cor.9:15)


Christmas is all about love, gift giving and celebration. It is about “love” because love is giving (“God so loved that He gave…”). It is about “gifts” because our Father gave the most precious, unspeakable and perfect – the superlative Gift (Jesus) to the ones He loved the most – you and me. It is about “celebration.” Because of this most wonderful Gift we have been adopted into the family of the God of the universe, we have been “cleaned up” and redeemed from the darkness and bondage of sin, we have been given the constant and abiding presence of the Holy Spirit and we have been given an eternal hope for eternal life with our Father. So now (December 25th) and always, we must celebrate!

Advertisers know there is one certain way to attract everyone’s attention is to announce they have a free gift – something for nothing. If you take them up on their offer you usually find their gift was worthless or completely undesirable, but it is free, so some spend time and effort to receive it. But what really brings joy and deep satisfaction is to receive a gift you have long desired and know it was given from a heart of love that wanted you to delight in their gift. It brings great joy to the giver’s heart to know they have filled the longing of your heart.

My family has never been wealthy in money, but my mother was the epitome of a wealthy person in love. She gave all she could give to her family and others. At Christmas I knew what my gift from Mother would be – a homemade pair of pajamas, like all the other siblings at home. My older siblings, who were working, gave me two or three pairs of underwear, socks, or other necessary garments. These types of gifts may seem hum-drum to others who received a lot of toys and fun stuff, but I was grateful for something new and just for me.

I remember when I was about nine or ten my mother received an inheritance from two maiden aunts who were doctors and bequeathed their money to their family. I don’t know how much it was, but Mother offered to give each of us anything we wanted but could never afford. My sister just older than I asked for a pair of shoe-skates. I don’t remember what the others asked for, but I boldly said I wanted a piano. Mother knew my love of music and saw that the Lord had gifted me with an ear for playing the piano. Without blinking an eye Mother agreed to her gift to me of a piano. I didn’t have to work to help pay for it – it was a free gift!

That was about sixty five years ago and now I know what joy it must have given my mother to get me my heart’s desire, whatever the cost. I got many years of pleasure out of my piano and kept it until I had been married a few years and we moved to Florida. If I had to think over the past and decide what was the most precious gift I ever received, I would have to say that piano, because it fulfilled my deep longing and I knew it was given in love (without strings attached).

God’s giving heart that desires and has offered the greatest Gift we could ever long for and which would fulfill our fondest dreams and this Gift was free. You guess it! That magnanimous Gift God gave to the world is Jesus, His Son, and the eternal life in heaven with Him; an abundant life here and now (all that comes as a bonus)! All we have to do is accept this Gift.

Riddle: What is the most wonderful, free gift we can give to any and everyone and yet keep it? Answer: Jesus! At this time of the year as we are contemplating gifts for others, carefully consider sharing the good news of this wonderful, free gift with everyone we can. December 25th may not be the exact date of Jesus’ birth but it is the spirit of rejoicing and celebrating the fact that God was willing to give His priceless treasure, His Son, to us that we can live forever with Him! How could we help but praise Him with unsurpassed celebration?

Joy To The World
Isaac Watts

Joy to the world! The Lord is come! Let earth receive her King.
Let every heart prepare Him room; and heaven and nature sing,
And heaven and nature sing; and heaven and heaven and nature sing.

Joy to the earth! The Savior reigns! Let men their songs employ.
While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy; repeat, repeat the sounding joy.

No more let sins and sorrows grow, nor thorns infest the ground.
He comes to make His blessings flow far as the curse is found;
Far as the curse is found; far as, far as the curse is found.

He rules the world with truth and grace, and makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness and wonders of His love,
And wonders of His love, and wonders, wonders of his love.

No comments: