Friday, February 4, 2011

Real Love

If I had to describe 'love' in one word I would have to say "giving." "For God so loved the world that He gave -" I will have to weigh my love for anyone by how much I am willing to "give" - my energies; my money; my time (to help, to have fun, developing friendships, encouraging, giving hope, quickly forgiving, inclusion; sharing my hospitality; etc.) This kind of love only comes when I empty my heart of self and have the Holy Spirit completely fill it so it has no room for ME. Without Him I cannot truly love! (I Cor. 13)

Elizabeth Elliot put it this way, "God's love is not a sentimental thing, for it was strong enough to hurt His own Son." David lived a good example of love, not only toward Jonathan, but toward his enemy, Saul who repeated tried to kill him, the same one who had a bounty on his head. Despite all, David wsas gracious to him in life and death. May we be as loving toward our enemies - those who have harmed us in any way, spirit, soul or body.

I read a story about an American soldier who was stationed in England after World War II. Driving to his barracks, he saw a young boy staring at some delicious pastries in a bakery window. He stopped and asked, "Son, would you like one of those?" "Yes, I sure would!" the said. The soldier bought some sweets and gave them to the boy. As he walked away, he felt a tug at his coat and heard the youngster ask, "Mister, are you God?" We look most like Jesus when we are "giving."

Janet Fleming told a personal account of a small chick that had gotten away from its mother. It appeared dead apart from one eye which was slightly open. She held it in her hands and watched again. It opened its beak. As she went about her tasks she held that chick in her pocket. One hour later it stood and the next day she couldn't pick it from the rest. Her analogy was: How many brothers and sisters might be still following the Lord if a fellow Christian had shown them warmth and encouragement? This is love.

The Father is the ultimate "Giver" - He needs nothing but wants all (of our hearts). He knows that we cannot fulfill the greatest command (or the second greatest) until our hearts are completely emptied of self and filled with Himself. Only then can we truly give love to God and man.

Father, help us to love as you love - being sensitive to the needs of others; loving the unlovely; lifting up the fallen; encouraging the discouraged; including the lonely; reaching out to the down-and-out as well as the up-and-out; showing kindness to those who hurt us. Father, we know we can only love through Christ Who gives us strength and in His name! Amen!!

No comments: