Friday, May 6, 2011

From The Mire and Into The Choir

A Story of Deliverance

“He drew me up also out of a horrible pit (of tumult and of destruction) out of the miry clay (froth and slime), and set my feet upon a rock, steadying my steps and established my goings. And He has put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many shall see it, and fear (revere and worship), and shall put their trust and confident reliance in the LORD” (Psalms 40:2-3 (Amp.).

What a conversion! What marvelous Grace! O what Love! David was certainly a poetic orator and writer. He was so ready and quick to praise God for His goodness, mercy and love. In the first verse of this fortieth chapter David waited patiently and expectantly for God to hear his cry.

Then upon hearing David’s cry, the LORD reached down into the “pit” of David’s life and marvelously “drew him out of his tumult and destruction; out of the froth and slime of the miry clay in that pit; and He set his feet upon a rock, steadying his steps and established the way he should go” (v.2).

For an added blessing, the LORD put a new song in David’s mouth; it was a song of praise to David’s GOD, JEHOVAH. David continues to muse over his deliverance, “Many shall see and worship and put their trust and confident reliance in the Lord” (v.3).
David continues in verse 4, “Fortunate and to be envied is the man who makes the Lord his refuge and trust, and turns not to the proud or to followers or false gods.”

David praises his God, “Many are the wonderful works which You have done, and Your thoughts toward us; no one can compare with You; if I should declare and speak of them, they are too many to be numbered” (v.5). David continues his praise in verse six, “You have given me the capacity to hear and obey Your law, a more valuable service than burnt offerings and sin offerings which you do not require.” David then blesses the Lord, “I delight to do Your will, O my God; yes, Your law is within my heart” (v.8).
George Hall compiled these verses so succinctly, “Out of the mire, and into the choir” aptly describes the spiritual change which takes place when we are saved. It is entirely of God’s grace, and is ours in our Lord Jesus Christ. What joyful songs of praise should fill our hearts and mouths, in appreciation of our great deliverance!”

HE LIFTED ME
Charles H. Gabriel

In loving-kindness Jesus came, My soul in mercy to reclaim,
And from the depths of sin and shame, Thru grace He lifted me.

He called me long before I heard, Before my sinful heart was stirred,
But when I took Him at His word, Forgiv’n He lifted me.

His brow was pierced with many a thorn, His hands by cruel nails were torn,
When from my guilt and grief, forlorn, In love He lifted me.

Now on a higher plane I dwell, And with my soul I know ‘tis well;
Yet how or why, I cannot tell, He should have lifted me.

From sinking sand He lifted me, With tender hand He lifted me;
From shades of night to plains of light, O praise His name, He lifted me!

No comments: