Friday, May 13, 2011

Oh, The Wonder Of It All

“Blessed be the LORD GOD, the God of Israel, Who only does wondrous things!”
(Psalm 72:18)


Everything God does is wondrous! He is perfect, magnanimous, holy, loving and wondrous in all His ways! He cannot do any less than perfect. He is Yahweh – the Sovereign God – omniscient, omnipresent andomnipotent. If I am his redeemed and adopted child, how can I do anything less than say with David in Psalm 34:1, “His praise shall continually be in my mouth.” If I don’t feel like praising Him, Satan is oppressing me or I have let some sin get between myself and the Savior. Sin causes a disconnect between me and Jesus (Who should be my focus). It could be sins of the “flesh” or of the “spirit.” Sin brings darkness, depression, guilt and fear. But when I am walking in the Light, close to Him, all I want to do or say is to praise Him for the wondrous things He has done and is doing.

Electricity is a wonderful thing; it is also a puzzling thing. If it is captured and channeled its power can run huge turbines or light small lamps; but it must be connected to the source before it will work. I can’t define it, other than to say it is natural energy. Webster defines it as, “A fundament entity of nature consisting of negative and positive kinds composed respectively of electrons and protons and possibly electrons and positrons observable in the attractions and repulsions of bodies electrified by friction and in natural phenomena (as in lightening or in the aurora borealis) and usually utilized in the form of electrical current.” (I like my definition better. )

Electricity is a wonderful thing when it is channeled and controlled properly; but it is very dangerous if you are standing in an open field or under a tree in a lightening storm. People and animals have been seriously injured or even killed when they are struck by lightening or when they are using electrical current improperly. The same is true of God’s power – it is wondrous; but unless we are “plugged in” to His power we can do nothing. God has a plan and purpose for us; He has given us gifts, but if we are not vitally connected to His love we are like a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal (I Cor.13:1). We are doing nothing more than ‘making noise.’ Our efforts must all be “through Christ Who strengthens me” (Phil.4:13). God is wondrous in all of His ways!

O, The Wonder Of It All!
(George Beverly Shea)

There's the wonder of sunset at evening,
The wonder as sunrise I see;
But the wonder of wonders that thrills my soul
Is the wonder the God loves me.



Chorus:
O, the wonder of it all! The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me.
O, the wonder of it all! The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me.
There's the wonder of springtime and harvest,
The sky, the stars, the sun;
But the wonder of wonders that thrills my soul
Is the wonder that's only begun
.

No comments: