Monday, May 30, 2011

Rest and Wait Patiently

“Rest in the Lord , and wait patiently for Him.”(Psalm 37:7) May 30, 2011

This scripture brings to my mind the picture of the Twenty Third Psalm. This is a picture of a satisfied, safe and contented sheep which is silently comfortably resting with provision all around him. As long as he stays in the fold and close to the shepherd it will remain safe, well provided for and is comfortable and resting. That sheep is content to wait, silently and patiently for the shepherd to call him by name and lead him to move to new and better pastures. The sheep trusts the shepherd’s wisdom to keep him safe and knows where to rest by the most optimum pasture and quiet waters.

It has been said that sheep are the most helpless of all creatures, even after coming into adulthood. If the sheep wanders away from the shepherd he becomes easy prey to any enemy waiting to separate the helpless sheep from the shepherd. If it falls on its back it cannot right itself alone. The sheep knows the shepherd’s voice and without the voice guidance of the shepherd a sheep can become disoriented and can quickly become lost. If a sheep becomes self-willed and runs away it can easily fall into holes, gets entangled in briars out of which it cannot free itself. Only the shepherd can find the lost sheep and bring him safely back to the fold, the green pasture, cool water and rest.

In the next picture I can see myself as one of the sheep in Jesus’ pasture, by His cool water, with His ample provision and trusting in His wisdom to lead me safely to His desired haven. Jesus is the “Good Shepherd.” He knows the crevices into which I might fall. He sees the traps that the predator has set for me. He knows how very vulnerable I am. He knows the pastures with ample provision and cool, still water. He knows the pits into which I might fall, and when I do He has the balm to heal my wounds. When I would choose my own way He draws me back with the crook of His staff. He beats the devourer off with His rod when it comes to steal me away, kill and destroy me.

Knowing the love and care of the Good Shepherd why wouldn’t I choose to stay close to Him and “rest in Him and wait patiently for Him.” Lord, help me to rest and quietly wait for you.

Gentle Shepherd
Bill and Gloria Gaither

Gentle Shepherd come and feed us for we need you to help us find our way.
Gentle Shepherd come and feed us for we need your strength from day to day.

There’s no other we can turn to who can help us face another day.
Gentle Shepherd come and feed us for we need you to help us find our way.
.

No comments: